Wednesday, February 3, 2010

arriving home from my recent vacation i was surprised to find my home strongly scented in mildew, not the warm welcome i was looking forward to.

i love the charm of older homes (ie.my rental of 1954) and their mysterious past lives and residents, but....my winter experience in older homes is often dank and musty. our north facing closet walls always mildew in a wet year and the morning glisten of condensation on all our single pane windows is an everyday affair... as is the mildew that erupts on and around them.

i feel so mad about it that i think..."to bleach or not to bleach? bring me the harsh chemicals"!

i sleep. when i awake i come to my senses and consult my favorite and only reference for concoctions for the care of home and me. "Better Basics for the Home"http://www.amazon.com/Better-Basics-Home-Simple-Solutions/dp/0609803255 always guiding me back to my poison free ways. "Simple solutions for less toxic living" wins again. Hugely empowering, engaging and an informative reference for cleaning green. So good.
tea tree oil, vinegar, borax, water and good old fashioned elbow grease is currently winning the fight over "essence du la mildew" until drier days arrive.
ah.... housekeeping, just the thing to center myself back into winter's nest
after time away.

1 comment:

  1. We, of course, have the same problem with our thin windows. We have a few shades that remain down sometimes a week in winter and it surely is a frightening sight of black nastiness when I open them. Let me know how it goes! I don't use bleach but the stains remain and the mold quickly finds its path back.
    I must ask you soon about your work in metal clay I don't even know what that is!

    ReplyDelete